About the AGLCC
To empower and strengthen the LGBT business community and its allies.
The Chamber's primary services are the membership directory, community calendar, and our new quarterly magazine, The Agenda. These resources help Austin's LGBT community know where to best spend their hard-earned dollars, keeping gay money within the gay-supportive community. Additionally, the AGLCC provides networking and educational opportunities for our members to strengthen our community and our businesses.
- In 1994, the board of directors decided to become a chamber of commerce. During a three-year transition period, it was known as the Stonewall Chamber of Commerce. Confusion over the name (because there is a Stonewall, Texas) prompted the name change to the Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
- 2001 marked the first Annual AGLCC Pride Parade, which was very successful with nearly 45,000 in attendance in 2008. In 2009, the AGLCC produced the city's first combined Pride Parade and Festival with over 50,000 combined participants and attendees before handing off the Pride events to a separate non-profit organization for 2010.
- In 2004, the AGLCC became one of the founding members of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) with representation on the Council of Chambers and Business Organizations in 2008-2009 and 2013-present.
- In 2006, the AGLCC reached 200 members for the first time
- In January 2007, the AGLCC had its first State of the Chamber speech given by the president to the give members and guests a review of the past year's achievements and an overview of the AGLCC's plan for the coming year.
- The Chamber published its first magazine, Forward Austin in 2007 replacing the printed directory.
- In 2009, the AGLCC reached 300 members for the first time.
- In 2012, the first issue of The Agenda, the AGLCC's new quarterly magazine, in collaboration with the Austin Chronicle, was released during Austin PRIDE
- In March 2013, the AGLCC organized the first #BigGay Kickoff Party on the first day of the SxSW Interactive Festival. It attracted over 1500 attendees, making it the largest non-pride event in Austin.
- In July 2013, the AGLCC received the Rising Star Chamber of the Year award from the NGLCC (see video of the award presentation)
- In 2013, the Austin Chronicle's Best of Austin named the AGLCC as "Best Shop-Local Portals" (tied with the Austin Indepdent Business Alliance)
- In February 2014, the AGLCC has signed up over 350 members, most number of active members in the organization's history
- In March 2014, the AGLCC's Facebook page reached 10,000 likes, making it the most “liked” LGBT chamber of commerce on Facebook, and the most liked of any local chamber of commerce in the world
- The Chamber received the Excellence in Community Impact Award f rom the NGLCC in August 2015.
- The AGLCC hired its first full-time staff member in December 2015, and opened its first office.
The AGLCC is a proud member of: